Earlier today I received an email about the “Cupid’s Book-Lover” tag that is going around here on WordPress. I thought it would be fun to do, especially since lately all I’ve been posting on here is book reviews and videos. That’s not all that I intended this blog to be and I’m sorry about that. I will admit that I’ve been having a lot going on in my life as of late and it is looking like that might continue for a while.
However, I think I should take some of this chaos and use it to find new topics to bring to my lovely readers and video viewers. Until then, here is the tag.
Copy and Paste the following in your blog to participate in this tag.
1. Tag the creator (AbbieLu @ Cafe Book Bean)
2. Have fun answering the questions.
3. Tag 5-10 people to join in the fun.
4. Thank & link those who tag you.
5. Don’t worry about the rules!
You don’t need to be tagged to participate.
Love is in the air!
1) Favorite Love-Story book?: The Romantics by Pankaj Mishra It is not a happy love story but it is beautifully bittersweet and realistic.
2) Share your best Valentines day memory?: This is not with my current partner. But one my exes showed up on Valentines Day in a suit and tie and made my grandmother and I dinner complete with wine.
3) Favorite fictional hero/heroine? Fictional Hero: Hmmm….this is a hard one. One must really draw upon their own definition of hero. I’ll have to give this more of a think. As for heroine I’d say Kaye from Holly Black’s Modern Faerie Tales series.
4) What story has the best most memorable romantic moment; kiss, proposal, etc.?: I have never forgotten Kaye and Roiben’s kiss from Holly Black’s Tithe.
5) What is your all time favorite Romantic movie?: Before Sunset [It’s the second in a trilogy starring my favorite actor Ethan Hawke. It is a masterpiece.]
6) You can go anywhere for a romantic getaway (fiction or non-fiction,) where do you go?: London
7) Who do you want to be your valentine?: I have a valentine. My fiance.
8) Chocolate or flowers?: Chocolate
9) Novels: Romance or Adventure?: Both
10) What fictional villain, do you secretly love?: Humbert Humbert from Lolita. When Jeremy Irons took on this role I fell in love and I am aware this may cause some controversy.
Let the Tagging begin: Anyone who wants to do this, feel free!
I started this book, while I was trying to get through the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series and I’m so very glad I picked it up, since Hitchhiker’s Guide was doing nothing for me. Flipped is a children’s book, but it is a very smart children’s book. In fact, if I ever do have children I would bestow this book to my offspring with pride.
I first heard about Flipped when I saw the movie adaption in Walmart. It really looked like a cute movie, but for some reason or another I didn’t pick it up. Later on, I looked up the movie online and discovered that it was a children’s novel first. Perfect. I usually try to read the books before seeing their movies.
“The first time Julianna saw Bryce Loski she flipped.” That is one of the opening sentences of the novel and it is a sentence that just resonates with me so much. I think nearly everyone has had a moment in time when they see someone so beautiful to them that the entire world seems to turn on itself, if only for a moment. Though Julianna was only seven at the time of this moment, we all can’t be so lucky. I was much older for mine at 19.
On the surface, this novel might seem like your typical When Harry Met Sally scenario, but with children. Girl meets boy and loves him. But boy can’t stand girl. Yes, it starts out this way. But Flipped is so much more than that. Flipped is about how first impressions are often misleading and how you can have an opinion of someone that can change as time goes on. Flipped is a great story for both children and adults as this novel really shows the consequences of judging someone before you really know them.
I gave this novel 5/5 stars on Goodreads.
I would like to thank the few of you who gave me feedback on some questions I had yesterday. Only one of you gave advice about my itchy scalp problem. Shout out to Kimmykimmycocopuff (that is such a cute screenname!) So, I will most likely follow some of that advice and record the results here. We actually don’t have hard water around here, so I’ll be on the look out for that Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo at my local Sally Beauty Supply soon.
As for the video reviews, I actually have a nice handheld video camera. Unfortunately, I must have forgotten to pack the charge cord when I moved annnd my grandmother might have put it up in storage. So, for now, I may be testing the waters with videos with my laptop webcam.
I’m thinking about posting up my first video possibly tomorrow. I didn’t know what to talk about, but then it hit me. A few months back the fiance and I finished up my favorite animated TV series, Daria. This show was a huge part of my life when it aired and still is today. It was his first time seeing it. I thought it would be razor to do a retrospective video together (if I can get him to agree to it). What do you guys think? If not tomorrow, I think that will be the first video. I’m going to try to do a balance of both writing and film. This is going to be a fun experience.
In other news, I want to give a big thank you to those at https://bookidote.wordpress.com/. For nominating me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. When I first started this blog, I never thought I would get the amount of recognition that I have been receiving. I really am very appreciative that all you readers out there want to see what I have to say.
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you, linking back to their site.
2. Put the award logo on your blog.
3. Answer the ten questions sent to you.
4. Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer.
5. Nominate ten blogs.
I am guessing that since this is a “sisterhood,” my choices should be ladies. So, here we go!
- What are your September favorites ? (books, music, products,etc.) I never really did the whole “monthly favorite thing.” I just like what I like at any given time. But I can tell you about some wonderful products I bought this month! I recently discovered LUSH and have fallen in love! For those of you that don’t know what LUSH is, it’s a homemade cosmetics store that makes everything by hand and uses natural ingredients. So far I’ve gotten Grease Lightening (an acne fighter), Angels on Bare Skin (a facial cleanser), Eau Roma (facial toner), Imperials (facial moisturizer), and Happy Hippy (body wash). So far I have used Angels on Bare Skin, Grease Lightening, and Imperials. I can’t wait to try the rest!
- What is THE ONE BOOK everyone should read at least once in their lives? The Perks of Being A Wallflower. That book really helped me during a dark time.
- Where is your favourite place to read ? I used to love to read outside on my college campus. I guess I’m an outdoorsy reader. I like to read in coffee houses too.
- How did you come up with your blog name ? I actually took it from lyrics from the Everclear song “Rocket for the Girl.” I thought it summed up how my fiance makes me feel. Look it up and give it a listen! I also met the lead singer of Everclear back in June.
- What is the best piece of advice anyone has ever given you? I honestly don’t know.
- What’s your worst habit? Low self esteem
- Out of all the places around the world you’ve been to, what’s your favorite? I haven’t been to many places, so Disney World
- What are 3 essentials a blogger must have? Patience, good writing skills, and manners
- As a blogger, what do you think we can contribute to the community? A different perspective.
- Best comment on your blog so far. I’ll have to comb through them and get back to you on that.
- What was the first book you ever found yourself attached to?
- What was the first television show you ever found yourself attached to?
- Describe an embarrassing moment.
- Describe an event that actually scared you.
- What movie can you just not watch? Why?
- If you could date a fictional character who would it be?
- If you could create your own perfect partner, what traits would you give him?
- Worst date moment.
- What was your first concert?
- If you were granted three wishes by the Robin Williams genie, what would they be?
Yay! A pop culture post! The fiance and I are trying to solve some of our issues by spending more time together (this feat may soon become impossible if he picks up a second job). But we had a lot of fun earlier today screening a lesser known 1999 cult film, Jawbreaker. Jawbreaker was actually one of my favorite movies as a kid. It’s true that I was 9 when it came out, but I wasn’t really sheltered from films too much. It really depended on the situation. But yes, Jawbreaker is rated R.
The movie is about your standard high school popular girls clique (“the Flawless Four”) and what happens when one them is killed by the others through a failed birthday prank attempt. It bombed in the box office, but I ate it up once it was released at Blockbuster.
This could be a bad thing, but ever since I was a kid in the 90s I idolized the grungy girls and the seductive bitches from 90s teen films. I wanted to be a mix of the two. But I’m so awkward that I really am only the grunge part.
I idolized Janet from Singles and Rachel from Disturbing Behavior (my first rated R movie in a theatre).
But even though I hated her, I secretly wanted to be as sexy as Kathryn Merteuil from Cruel Intentions.
But when it comes right down to it, I’m not even a Janet or a Rachel. I’m more like Andrea Marr from Girl (which is really okay because Dominique Swain is sooooo beautiful!). And she was also Lolita, another female temptress!
Is it bad that I have a fascination with this type? That I want to be more like them? Of course, I would never cheat on my fiance or use sex as a way to ruin anybody. I admired these characters because they had so much confidence and admired their bodies. I’m a long way from the second, but I feel a sense of growing confidence upon clearing my skin.
As an undergrad, I was actually deemed a “hot girl” and actually got quite a few dates. Since then, I’ve gained some weight, but I’m working on that. Though I never was too skinny because I must admit I love my curves.
But maybe I can get my college flair back and work on spicing things up with my fiance by being more flirty. My friends used to refer to me as “the grunge goddess” and though it was embarrassing, I really miss the title. Maybe I can be that girl again. I had wanted so bad to be her since elementary school.
And yes, he did enjoy Jawbreaker.